What’s covered: Onlia car insurance

Have questions about your Onlia car insurance coverage? We’re here to help answer them.

Are passengers in my car covered if they get hurt in a collision?

Every automobile insurance policy in Ontario has a standard amount of accident benefits coverage. Usually, these are the coverages that would kick in to cover you and the passengers of your vehicle if you have been in a collision that caused an injury.

Make sure you take some time to review your accident benefits coverages to see if the standard amount meets your needs. There are enhanced options available for purchase.

Note: like all claims, injuries are subject to policy conditions.

My windshield cracked. Am I covered?

Damage to your windshield that’s caused by something other than a collision – a crack caused by a flying stone, for example – is typically covered if you have comprehensive coverage.

What if I get into a collision with an animal. Is this covered?

Like any potential claim, you need to have the right coverage in place. Here are some animal-based scenarios to consider:

  • Did the animal wander into traffic suddenly (think a deer darting into the middle of the road)? This is usually covered through the comprehensive portion of your policy.
  • Animal carcass sitting in the middle of the road (roadkill), and you drove into it? This would likely be covered under the collision component of your insurance.
  • In either case, your deductible will apply.

Where am I covered to drive my vehicle?

If you are thinking of taking a road trip, you can drive your vehicle anywhere in Canada or the continental United States.

Note: Auto insurance varies from province to province. This means for your insurance to provide the coverage it was designed to, your vehicle needs to be in your province of residence for the majority of the year. Otherwise, you’ll need a different type of insurance.

My car got broken into. Am I covered for items stolen from my car?

That sucks – sorry to hear that! The good news is that if you have Comprehensive coverage included on your auto policy, you do have some coverage available. Sign in to My Account to review all the coverages you have on your policy. Depending on what was stolen, you may need to claim through your home insurance policy. Check out our Claims page for more information, or if you need to submit a claim. We’ll help you get this sorted out.

How do I know what my auto policy covers?

To see the details of your auto policy coverage, sign in to My Account. Select the policy you’d like to review and scroll down to Coverages. You'll see a list of what’s covered under that policy. You can also download your full Certificate of Auto Insurance, which provides a more detailed breakdown of your coverage, from the same screen.

Am I covered for a rental car?

You can add our Enhanced Rental Automobile Package to your policy, provided you also have Collision and Comprehensive coverage. Rental car coverage includes two benefits:

  1. Coverage for rentals:
    If your vehicle is getting fixed or replaced due to a loss you’re covered for, we’ll give you a rental vehicle similar to the one you own while you wait for your claim to be resolved (up to $2,500 in total). Please contact our Customer Support team at 1-844-472-7901 for more information.
  2. Coverage for rentals when you’re travelling:
    Your policy’s coverage – including the physical damage options on your policy – will be extended to cars you rent when you’re travelling within Canada and the U.S. for up to 30 days. Note a few restrictions: the rental vehicle can't weigh more than 4,500 kg, needs to cost less than $75,000 and can't be used for deliveries.

Please review your policy to verify your coverage limits.

What if someone else drives my car. Is this covered?

Auto insurance policies will usually respond if your friend has a valid Ontario driver’s licence, and your permission to use your vehicle.

Think about it like this: when you lend your car, you lend your insurance. If anything happens, your insurance policy would respond, and cover eligible damages/injuries subject to your policy limits.

Remember that your insurance record is affected if they are considered at fault. This accident will remain on your record for at least 6 years and may impact your premiums if you do not have accident forgiveness.

If someone will be using your vehicle for a longer period, consider adding that driver to your insurance policy.