What’s covered: Onlia home insurance

Have questions about your Onlia home insurance coverage?
You’ve come to the right place.

Will I be covered if I rent out my home?

We provide coverage for short-term rentals for up to 30 days. So, if you occasionally Airbnb your home, you can rest assured that it’ll be covered along with its contents. Note that this won’t cover your renter’s belongings.

I can't live in my home and need alternative accommodation. Does my home insurance cover this?

If something happens to your home that’s covered under your policy and you can’t live in it for the duration of the claim process, we’ll pay for alternate accommodations and living expenses until it’s repaired or rebuilt. If you move elsewhere, we’ll cover the time it takes for you to settle in your new home. Note: This doesn’t apply to seasonal homes (e.g. your cottage).

Does my home insurance cover identity theft?

If you or someone in your household is a victim of identity theft, we’ll cover the costs associated with recovering data and important documents, up to $10,000.

Am I covered if something gets stolen outside my home?

Items that are temporarily away from your home anywhere in the world are covered up to a value of $5,000 with your standard coverage. And of course, you can upgrade your policy to be covered even more. Note that belongings in a storage facility are only covered for 30 days — you’ll need to purchase insurance from the facility for coverage beyond that. When you’ve got insurance with us, you can keep your mind on your studies, and not on your stuff. If you’re attending a school, university, or college and are temporarily away from home, your stuff will still be covered.

If you’ve stored items in a unit on the grounds of your condo building, then you’ll be covered for the contents up to your policy limits. However, belongings in an off-site storage facility are only covered for 30 days — you’ll need to purchase insurance from the facility for coverage beyond that.

Is business use at home covered?

Business use at home is covered as long as your home-based business is an approved office, sales, or crafts business. For example, an accounting firm, a barbershop, or a pottery studio.

Is legal assistance covered?

Legal assistance is covered by your home policy. Contact us at 1-844-472-7901 and we’ll connect you with legal counsel who specializes in your situation. We can point you in the right direction if you’re looking for advice regarding:

  • Identity theft
  • Consumer agreements
  • Landlord and tenants
  • Employment
  • Real estate
  • Criminal law
  • Wills and estates
  • Family law
  • Civil litigation
  • Immigration
  • Taxation

How long can I leave my house?

If you’re planning to leave your home for an extended period, we suggest asking someone to check on your home regularly. Ensure that pipes are drained and water is shut off to avoid water damage from frozen or burst pipes.

Will you cover damage to my roof?

We’ll cover losses to the roof of your dwelling, and detached private structures, based on the depreciated replacement cost, up to your policy limits.

Is my outdoor property covered?

Your coverage includes things like outdoor trees, plants, shrubs, lawns, permanently installed outdoor equipment, outdoor furniture, BBQ, and outdoor swimming pools.

What is covered in my home insurance?

When you have home insurance with Onlia, you’re covered for almost any type of damage to your home. The building, its contents, alternate accommodation, liability — all covered! This includes your possessions when you’re travelling anywhere in the world. Pretty awesome, right?
We cover these types of damage to your home:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Explosions
  • Smoke
  • Water damage
  • Wind and hail
  • Riot
  • Vandalism
  • Falling objects
  • Damage caused by vehicles, like cars, aircraft, and watercraft.

See your policy for full details on what you’re covered for.

Does my home insurance cover flooding?

Our Flood and Sewer Backup coverage pays for damage caused by overland flooding (during a bad storm, for example), and sewer backup (including storm drain, eavestrough, downspout, septic system or sump). This is an optional coverage, but it’s included by default when you get a home insurance quote.

To find your policy limits, see your Certificate of Property Insurance in My Account, under Documents.

If you’re a property owner, water damage due to plumbing issues (like a burst pipe) falls under Home and Detached Structures coverage. Your home is still covered, but coverage is limited. Check your policy for full details.

Do I need extra coverage for valuables?

Your Personal Property coverage includes a maximum of $10,000 coverage per item category for high-value belongings like art, jewellery, high-end bikes, etc. It's currently not possible to increase the coverage amount per high-value item.

Note: Please review your policy to verify your coverage limits.