We use cookies

We take your privacy seriously. We use cookies to personalize you content and make your digital experience better. Certain cookies may be collected with your consent

Personalize Your Cookies

Cookies are small files placed on your device. They allow us to remember your preferences and give us information on how you interact with our site. If you authorize cookies, they get stored on your device and we can access them on your future visits.

Essential Cookies (These cookies are required)

What are essential cookies?
Essential cookies allow you to access all our site features and to browse in an optimal and secure manner. They also let us ask for your opinion and measure your satisfaction on a specific topic.

Affordable insurance for landlords

Get protection for your rental property.

Landlord insurance, clarified

How do I buy landlord insurance from Onlia?

Once you have a home insurance policy, you can purchase a second policy for your rental property. Sign into your account to add a second home — Onlia makes it so easy, you can do it right from your phone.

Don’t have home insurance with Onlia? Click here to get your home quote now.


How does landlord insurance help me?

Being a landlord can be stressful because you’re not always on site at your property. Having insurance gives you peace of mind that your property is protected, even when someone else is living in it.

Do I need landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance isn’t mandatory in Ontario, but most lenders require it if you have a mortgage. It's a good idea to opt for landlord insurance since it offers peace of mind if an unexpected incident occurs.

What’s the difference between landlord and tenant insurance?

The difference between the two is simple; landlord insurance covers your rental property, third-party bodily injury, physical damage and repairs, as well as any loss of net rental income. Tenant insurance covers their contents that they bring with them to the unit. For example, if a grease fire ruins the stove and wall, and takes a small flat-screen TV with it, the landlord’s insurance will cover the appliance, repairs and cleanup, while the tenant’s insurance will cover the TV and provide temporary lodgings for them.

Why choose Onlia Insurance?

Always online

Get a quote, buy insurance, and manage your policy online 24/7. Easy-to-read policies make handling your own insurance a breeze.

Coverage for your property

When you rent out your home or a unit in your building, we have the coverage you need. Protect your home and what’s in it with a landlord policy made just for you.

Flexible policies

Adjust your coverage, add a driver, change to long-term parking, or bundle your insurance through My Account any time. On demand changes, no paperwork or phone calls required.

Privacy is our priority

We’ll keep you safe on and offline. Personal and sensitive information is always encrypted, stored, and transmitted securely.

A trusted provider

We’re backed by Fairfax Financial and Achmea, so we have the resources to make insurance simple. Like other trusted companies, we’re regulated by FSRA.

Add more, save more

Save 15% on car insurance and 20% on home when you bundle, and an additional 20% when you add more than one car to your policy.

Landlord coverages that keep you protected

Landlord insurance, also referred to as rental insurance, provides coverage for individuals who rent out their properties to tenants.
Fire Damage
Fire and smoke are common culprits of property damage. If they occur, we’ll make sure it’s repaired or replaced.
Theft and Break-ins
Coverage for your property, like appliances if they’re stolen or damaged at the rental home or condo.
Personal Liability Coverage
Legal protection if you’re sued due to someone else's injury or damage that occurs at your property.
Home and Detached Structures
We ensure any additions to a home, such as a basement apartment, or detached structures like pool houses, are included in coverage.
Personal Property
If you have any personal property that you own in an apartment or home you’re renting out, we’ll cover it.
Flood and Water Damage
Comprehensive overland water protection, covering flooding and sewer backup is available for some homes.
High-value Items
Want more protection for valuables like bicycles, jewellery, or artwork? We cover up to $2,500.
Fair Rental Value
In case your property is inhabitable due to an insured peril, we cover the net loss of rental income.
Legal Assistance
Need help with a legal matter? We’ll refer you to a preferred legal counsel who specializes in your situation.

Save $750* on car & home insurance

Bundle your car and home insurance policies with Onlia to save 20% on car and 15% on home coverage.