We use cookies

We take your privacy seriously. We use cookies to personalize you content and make your digital experience better. Certain cookies may be collected with your consent

Personalize Your Cookies

Cookies are small files placed on your device. They allow us to remember your preferences and give us information on how you interact with our site. If you authorize cookies, they get stored on your device and we can access them on your future visits.

Essential Cookies (These cookies are required)

What are essential cookies?
Essential cookies allow you to access all our site features and to browse in an optimal and secure manner. They also let us ask for your opinion a. measure your satisfaction on a specific topic.

Have a question?

We're happy to help and bring more clarity to your insurance.

We’ll help you navigate insurance

Onlia is dedicated to providing the support you need, when you need it. Buying insurance can be overwhelming — we’re committed to bringing clarity on car and home insurance in Ontario.

Whether you have a question about buying online or a qualm about coverage you need, we’re here for you.

Ways to get support

  • Ask our chatbot

    Our digital chatbot is online 24/7, and can help with inquiries about buying and managing your insurance, submitting claims, and more. Click the pink icon near the bottom of your screen to get started.
  • Use My Account

    View your policy documents, update your information, and even change your coverage in My Account — no phone calls required. Our on-screen prompts are simple to follow, making insurance easier than ever.
  • Explore our FAQ

    You have questions, and we have answers. Explore our FAQ below to find information about eligibility for Onlia Insurance, choosing the right coverage, your premium, and more.

Frequently asked questions

{{ activeGroup.GroupOrginalName }}

Pick a category
Pick a subcategory


How do I report a claim?

If you need to make a claim, please call us at 1-844-472-7901. We’ll make sure that you’re taken care of. You can report emergency claims 24/7 through the phone or through our app, which is available through Apple or Google.

For non-emergencies or questions about existing claims, you can email us at claims@onlia.ca

It’s useful to have the following information on hand. The more information you can provide upfront, the faster we can help you.

  • Report from the Collision Reporting Centre or the police.

  • Vehicle info, licence plate number, insurance and contact info of the other party.  

  • Photos of the damage/scene.

  • Receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses.

  • Receipts for any lost or damaged items. 

You can also consult My Account to confirm if you have coverage for Collision and take note of your deductible.

Once you have finished the process of reporting your claim, you will receive an email confirmation of the report, along with a claims reference number.

Can I withdraw my claim after reporting?

If there is any damage to another party (property, injury, liability etc.) you will not be able to withdraw the claim.  

However, you can withdraw if:

  • You wish to pay the damages yourself, and
  • If there are no other parties involved.
Do you offer 24/7 claims service?

Onlia's claims team is available 24/7. If you're in an emergency and need to report a claim right away, rest assured that you can do so any time of day. Learn more about our service here.

To report a claim, call us at 1-844-472-7901 or through our app, which is available through Apple or Google.

How and when will I get paid after a claim?

The time it takes to settle a claim depends on a few items, primarily:

  • How long it takes to investigate any complexities

  • How fast we receive the documentation required to process the claim

Many types of claims require different processes, so we can't give you an exact timeline. If your claim is covered, we will settle as soon as we can – no unnecessary delays. If there are complexities or unavoidable delays, we’ll let you know immediately, and work with you to get them sorted out.

How do I know if my claim is covered?

If you find yourself needing to file a claim, whatever coverage was on your policy at the time of loss is what will guide the claims settlement process.  

Login to My Account to review the details of your policy coverage. Select the policy you want to review and scroll down to Coverage. You can find a summary of your policy details here. Scroll down to Policy documents to find a complete PDF version of your policy. 

You can even access it through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores.

Take a look at some of our other FAQs for some example scenarios and general answers.

If at any time you have any questions or concerns, reach out to our Claims team. We’re here to help!

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the self-insured portion of the claim. Which means, how much you pay first before insurance kicks in. If your vehicle is damaged by something you’re covered for, the deductible is the amount of money that’s adjusted on the settlement. 

For example: 

Imagine a scenario where your $15,000 car was stolen. You had a $1,000 Comprehensive deductible. You’d pay $1,000 and the insurance company would pay the remaining $14,000.


The higher your deductible:

  • The lower your premium

  • But you’ll pay more out-of-pocket in the event of a claim

The lower your deductible:

  • The (slightly) higher your premium

  • You’ll pay LESS out of pocket in the event of a claim

Want to know what the deductible on your policy is? Check your coverages in My Account both online and through the app, available through Apple or Google.

What can I do if my claim was denied?

We don’t just deny a claim willy-nilly. As a customer, we want to take care of you. If a claim is going to be denied, it gets internally escalated to make sure that there aren’t any other solutions. 

Speak to your adjuster and ask for clarification about why your claim was denied. They will be able to guide you through your policy terms and coverages.

What if I disagree with the settlement of my claim?

If you don’t agree with the settlement of your claim, make sure to let your adjuster know right away. Your adjuster will try to resolve the issue. As our customer, we want to take care of you.

If you still aren’t satisfied, you can file a complaint.

When do I have to report a loss to my insurance company?

You should report a loss as soon as possible. The faster we are aware there is a problem, the faster we can help.

If there is another person involved (even if you both agreed not to file a claim), they are legally able to claim for their damages from their insurer, who may opt to notify us of the claim. This means the collision can show up on your insurance record, even if you didn’t put through a claim yourself. If this happens you won’t have had your chance to tell your side of the story and may find that there are unintended consequences (e.g. being deemed at fault, or having your policy cancelled for failing to disclose).

Where can I see an overview of my claims?

To see the status of your claim, sign in to My Account and select View Claims. You can also access it through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores.

I've been in a collision. What should I do?

Here are some steps you can take in a scenario like this: 

  1. Get the driver’s licence information of the other driver. If the driver is not willing to provide this, take a photo of the licence plate or write it down. 

  2. Take photos of the damage, and of the other car if you can. 

  3. Call the police. Even if the accident is minor, collisions with an uninsured driver must be legally documented.

  4. The police officer may direct you to a Collision Reporting Centre where you must provide all the information you have about the car and the plate number.

  5. Use the features in the Onlia App to upload photos and report a claim.

  6. Otherwise, contact us via phone to get your claim started. You can reach the Claims team at 1-844-472-7901.

These situations can be stressful, but we’ll work through them together!

When do I need to report a collision to the police?

You must report a collision to the police if one of the following scenarios apply:

  • A person is injured (even slightly).
  • The total value of damages to property is over $2,000. It’s not often that you’ll have an accident where the total damage is under $2,000 because you need to take into consideration both the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicle involved. Don’t forget any peripheral damage, like a streetlight, fences, mailbox, etc.
  • When the collision was caused by a cyclist, or vehicle hitting an open door on your vehicle - irrespective of injuries or the value of the damages.

In most cases, the police will ask you to visit a collision reporting centre to report your accident.  Rules differ municipally, so make sure you follow the due process as requested by the police.

If the third party is unknown, you must get a police report within 24 hours of the damages since this could impact your coverage. Instances include hit-and-runs, single-vehicle collisions and damages whilst the vehicle is parked.

If your driving takes you outside of Ontario, the rules of the road may change. Contact the local authorities to confirm what to do in case of an accident.

What do I do when my car needs a tow?

Need a tow? We’d recommend that you give us a call at 1-844-472-7901 and we can point you in the right direction. If you have the right coverages in place, this may be covered as part of your claim.

The towing industry can be confusing when it comes to charges and fees, especially when a police officer tells you to move your car and an eager tow truck is ready to hook up your vehicle. Take a look at this informative blog to make sure you know your rights when you need a tow.

I hit something with my car. What should I do?

Safety first – if you hit something and anyone is injured, always call the police as soon as possible.  

Assuming no injuries, here are some steps you can take to get things taken care of.  Don’t stress, we’re here to help. 

As with any collision:

  1. Exchange information with the other people involved. 
    Pro tip: take a photo of the other party’s driver’s licence, pink slip and the licence plate and you have all the info you need! (Important info: name, contact details, licence plate number, vehicle information [year, make, model], insurance company name and policy number). If the other party doesn't cooperate, try to get at least the licence plate number.
  2. If the other person isn’t around, be sure to leave a note with your contact information. If you don’t, there are some pretty hefty consequences; like being charged with failure to remain on the scene, or potentially being deemed at fault. 
  3. Report your claim to us as soon as possible. You can reach the Claims team at 1-844-472-7901. They will guide you to your nearest Collision Reporting Centre, and the next steps. 
  4. Think the claim is small, and want to see if you can take care of the damages yourself? See our question on "What is a minor claim?"
I've been in a collision with someone who doesn't have insurance or hasn't provided the info. What do I do?

Here are some steps you can take in a scenario like this: 

  1. Get the driver’s license information of the other driver. If the driver is not willing to provide this, take a photo of the license plate / write it down. 

  2. Take photos of the damage, and of the other car if you can. 

  3. Call the police. Even if the accident is minor, collisions with an uninsured driver must be legally documented.

  4. The police officer may direct you to a Collision Reporting Centre where you must provide all the information you have about the car and the plate number.

  5. Contact us to get your claim started. You can do so through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores. You can also reach the Claims team at 1-844-472-7901.

These scenarios can be stressful, but we’ll work through them together!

Someone hit my car and drove off. What should I do?

There are two scenarios to consider when someone hits your car and drives off. 

  1. You have no idea who hit you: 

    • Report the damage to the Collision Reporting Centre, preferably within 24 hours but no later than 48 hours. Keep in mind you MUST report to the nearest Collision Reporting Center in the jurisdiction where the collision took place, and not the location closest to your home address. You can find a list of locations here.

    • You can consult My Account to confirm if you have coverage for Collision and take note of your deductible. 

    • Report a claim and we’ll take care of you! You can do so through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores. Or you can reach the Claims team at 1-844-472-7901.

  2. You have the information of the person who hit you (e.g. they left a note, or there was a witness):

    • Same as above.

    • If it is possible to identify the person who hit you, AND they have insurance, we may be able to settle the claim using your Direct Compensation Property Damage coverage, which has a deductible of $0.

 A small silver lining: if you are the victim of a hit and run the claim is considered a ‘not at fault’.

I'm getting sued / received a statement of claim. What do I do now?

If you receive a notice that you are being sued, be sure to let us know right away. Call us at *1-844-472-7901*.

When you are at fault for an auto collision, the other party damaged has the right to sue you for bodily injury and/or property damage. They normally send you a letter to advise that they are holding you responsible, including a description of the damage and the amount sought.

Sometimes, a Statement of Claim is the first notice you receive instead of a letter. This is an official legal document advising you that there is a suit filed against you. It must be served (delivered) officially to you by a process server. The Statement of Claim is generally full of accusations and allegations. No need to worry! These are not factual until proven.

We will review the Statement of Claim and hire a lawyer to defend any covered claim. During discoveries, we will uncover all the verified information to present to the court.

FYI: Whether you've received a letter or a Statement of Claim, you should not discuss anything with the other party or their lawyer(s), and most definitely do not sign anything! This is because your insurance company is responsible for representing you in these scenarios, and you wouldn’t want to jeopardize your defence lawyer’s ability to represent you effectively.

What is a minor claim?

What is considered a minor claim:

  • The cost of damage to each vehicle involved in the collision, including any property damage, does not exceed a combined total of $2,000, and the cost of all such damages is paid by the at-fault party;
  • No bodily injuries are sustained because of the collision; and
  • No payment is made by any insurer for any damage to the vehicles or property resulting from the collision.

If these criteria are met, then you don’t necessarily need to contact us or submit a claim. That, however, is up to you.

FYI: If it is determined to be a minor collision, it won’t impact your premium even if you report it to us first. Not sure if your collision qualifies as a minor claim? Contact us at 1-844-472-7901 and we'll help you figure it out!

How do you calculate the value of my vehicle?

If a car is considered a total loss, several factors will be considered:

  • Year, make, model

  • Kilometres

  • Additional equipment added other than customization (unless it’s for accessibility reasons)

  • Any recent repairs/additions with supporting documentation

  • The market value of a similar vehicle in similar condition at the time of loss

  • Depreciation

With this information, we can calculate the value of your car. A bit of math, but ultimately, fairly straightforward. If you need more clarification, be sure to ask your claims adjuster; They'll walk you through all the specifics.

How do you determine at fault after a collision?

In Ontario, there are fault determination rules set out by law that insurers need to use. Take a look if you’re curious, it's pretty comprehensive!

The rules govern how insurers assign fault. If the collision is not described exactly in the fault determination rules, then the fault is assigned using the ‘rules of the road’ in the municipality where the collision occurred.

If you don’t agree with the fault determination or don’t understand why – let us know. We will have someone contact you to discuss and offer clarity wherever possible.

Do I have to use your people to fix my car/property?

There is no legal requirement to use our preferred vendor if you don’t want to. That said, we strongly recommend that you do. Here’s why:

  • We’ve developed relationships with these vendors because they have a solid history of quality work. We audit the quality of their work on a regular basis and provide a warranty for all their repairs.
  • We cannot warranty any issues with repairs from your company of choice. You would be responsible to handle any issues directly with your repair company.

Need more info? Contact our Claims team at 1-844-472-7901.

Where can I get my windshield repaired?

You can visit our preferred auto body shop, CarStar, or any other glass repair shop to get your windshield serviced.

Need some more advice? Give us a call at 1-844-472-7901. Choose option 2 for claims, followed by option 3 for glass claims.

Will I have to pay a deductible to repair my windshield?

If your windshield can be repaired, your deductible will be waived. However, your deductible will apply if your windshield needs to be replaced.

What happens if I get sued because of a collision?

We all hope these things never happen, but these things do happen. That’s why you buy insurance in the first place - to protect you against just such a scenario.

Assuming you had a valid auto insurance policy at the time of the collision, your liability coverage would respond up to the limit you have purchased. Consider your liability limit (Onlia policies start at $1 million), and whether increasing that number is best for you. 

If you are an Onlia customer and are being sued, get in touch with our Claims team at 1-844-472-7901. We are here to help!

When is my car totalled?

We will assess several factors when considering whether to repair or replace your vehicle, including (but not limited to):

  1. Is the vehicle able to be repaired? It must be able to meet safety criteria (we’re all about safety!). If not, we have to determine your car to be a total loss.

  2. If it costs more to repair the car than its market value, it will usually be a total loss.

If the car is deemed a total loss, we will settle the claim on actual cash value.

If you have purchased the optional Removing Depreciation Deduction/Removing Depreciation Deduction for Specified Lessee(s) coverage then we will use those parameters to guide the settlement process.

I've heard that most parking accidents are at fault, or 50/50. Is that true?

Every car collision is subject to fault determination rules (FDR). These rules determine the degree of fault assigned to an insured in the event of a collision.

While we can’t go through every scenario here, we thought it might be worth exploring a few common ones:

Leaving a parking space:

The car leaving the parking space must always give priority to all other traffic. A driver who hits another vehicle while leaving a parking space is most likely to be at fault.

Driving into a parked car:

The driver that hits another vehicle that is legally parked is always considered at fault. The same applies if a driver (or passenger) damages another vehicle while opening the doors of their car.

Traffic signs in parking lots:

Drivers must obey parking lots’ traffic signs. A driver is considered automatically at fault if involved in a collision resulting from failing to obey these signs or the directions of a police officer.

If you’ve been involved in a collision and need help, you can always give us a call at 1-844-472-7901.

My vehicle was stolen, what do I do?

We’re sorry to hear this happened to you!

Please notify us within 7 days of the incident. You can do so through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores. Or simply give us a call at 1-844-472-7901.

With stolen vehicles, we wait 72 hours before proceeding with a claim as sometimes they are recovered during the investigation.

Note: If the vehicle is recovered, please contact the Claims team before driving it.

What’s the difference between a minor, major, and criminal conviction?

In Ontario, there are three categories of driving convictions: minor, major, and criminal. The classification of tickets can sometimes vary by insurer.

Minor traffic convictions are the most common and most people will be guilty of them at some point. These convictions won’t cause you to lose your license or go to jail but could affect your insurance. It’s also important to note that red light and speed camera tickets don’t count because they cannot verify the driver’s face.

Minor convictions may include:

  • Failing to signal

  • Failing to wear a seat belt

  • Speeding

Major traffic convictions are more serious infractions that carry steeper fines and more demerits. These offences are considered major because they have a higher likelihood of causing injuries or fatalities and often have a greater impact on insurance rates.

Major convictions may include:

  • Distracted driving

  • Failure to report an accident

  • Speeding in a school zone

Criminal traffic convictions have the greatest impact on your life and the lives of others. These result in the heaviest penalties including possible license suspension or jail time.

Criminal convictions may include:

  • Impaired driving

  • Racing or stunt driving

  • Driving with a suspended license

My car is a total loss or write-off. What's next?

If you have not contacted the claims team yet about your total loss, please do so. They will give you further instructions on how to cancel a policy and purchase another for a new vehicle. You can do so through our app, which is available through the Apple and Google stores. Or you can reach the Claims team at 1-844-472-7901 or claims@onlia.ca.

Do I have to replace all lost/damaged items?

This depends on your individual situation. Give our Claims team a call at 1-844-472-7901 for more information.

My home is flooded. Can you help me protect my belongings?

If your claim is covered, we’ll help you secure your belongings to prevent any further damage.

Need to submit a claim? You can download our app from Apple or Google and follow the prompts to file a claim.

Or give us a call at 1-844-472-7901.

How do I determine if my home insurance claim is covered?

Review your policy in My Account for full details.

If you need to make a claim, you can download our app from Apple or Google and follow the prompts to file a claim.

Or you can give our team a call at 1-844-472-7901.

My house got broken into. What should I do?

We’re sor­­ry that happened, and hope everyone is safe!

First, call the police to file a report. Then give our Claims team a call at 1-844-472-7901 to let us know what happened. We’ll help you secure your home so it’s safe to stay in and walk you through every step of the claims process.

You can even file a claim through our app — download our app from Apple or Google — to make the process quicker.

I need legal assistance. How does that work?

If you’re in a situation that you could use some legal advice on, give us a call at 1-844-866-6542. We’ll connect you with the appropriate legal counsel to answer any questions you have.

FYI: You don’t need to claim anything to get legal assistance.

I was hurt in a collision. How am I covered?

The benefits you can receive depend on what kind of injury you have, and how severe it is. Every person’s situation is unique; we’ll work with you to determine how much help you need to get back to normal life.

You can see the details of your accident benefits coverage in My Account. Click View Details on the policy you want to review, and then scroll down to see a list of your policy's coverages. You can also download your Certificate of Auto Insurance on this page, which provides a more detailed breakdown of your coverage.

I was injured in a collision and can't go to work/school or take care of my dependants. How can my insurance help me?

Your insurance includes accident benefits that will be there to help you. You may qualify to receive one of the following:

Income Replacement

If you’re injured in a collision and can’t work, we’ll provide up to 70% of your gross income to a maximum of $400 a week. Keep in mind that there is a 7-day waiting period from the date of disability. 

Depending on your and your family’s situation, you may want to upgrade this benefit to pay more while you’re out of work. You can do this any time in My Account.

Caregiver and Home Upkeep

If you experience a catastrophic injury due to a collision and need help caring for someone who depends on you (e.g. a child or a person with a disability), we’ll provide up to $250 a week to hire a caregiver. For each additional dependant, you’ll receive up to another $50 a week. You can also upgrade this benefit to make it available for all injuries.

Non-Earner Benefits

If you don’t earn income and are in a collision that stops you from carrying on with normal life, we’ll pay you $185 a week to help with expenses while you recover. Keep in mind that this benefit is only payable after the first 4 weeks following the date of disability for a maximum of 2 years.

You can see all the details of your accident benefits coverage in My Account.

What are accident benefits and why are they important?

Accident benefits are there to help you and others who have sustained injuries in an auto collision.

Accident benefits pay for reasonable and necessary expenses (up to certain limits) that OHIP and other plans don’t cover – things like medical care, rehab, income replacement and other expenses. In case of a death, they may also provide coverage for funeral expenses and survivor benefits.

You can receive accident benefits regardless of who’s responsible for a collision – and whether you’re a driver, passenger, pedestrian, or cyclist.

I was injured in a collision. Will my premium go up?

Your premium will never go up because you got hurt. It also won’t go up if you receive accident benefits – they’re meant to help you recover, and you should never feel conflicted about using them if you need them. However, if you were responsible for the collision (at fault) your premium may go up as a result of that.

When should I report a claim if I'm injured in a collision?

You’ll need to report your claim within 7 days of the accident, or as soon as possible so that we can best advise you on what compensation you’re eligible for.

Do I have to pay for treatment up front?

We’ll typically pay your healthcare provider directly, meaning you won’t have to pay anything upfront (assuming we approve your treatment and assessment plan).

The exception to this is if your provider is not licensed by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA). We can’t pay these providers directly, which means you have to pay for your treatment, and we’ll reimburse you after the fact. We’ll let you know what the process for reimbursement is when you make your claim.

Note: Expenses will need to be submitted to any other benefits providers you may have before being submitted to us.

How to contact us

By phone

Prefer to hear a friendly voice to help answer your insurance questions? Call us Monday — Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Start a live chat or screen share

Start a live chat or screen share session with a customer support rep through our chatbot. Get on-screen assistance and instant answers to your questions during regular business hours, Monday — Friday.

Email us

Have a question after hours? Send us an email at support@onlia.ca and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Share your feedback

We want to hear about your experience with us. Please let us know how we're doing, and where we can improve.

Report suspected insurance fraud

If you are aware of someone who is making false insurance claims, or who is illegally posing as an insurance broker to defraud others, please report it here.